If you have a gap between your teeth, you may want to close it up for cosmetic purpose. Not everything that is sold on the market is safe though. There are some things to be wary of. If you are considering teeth gap bands, you may be wondering if they are effective or safe. Below you can find information and decide for yourself.
What Are Teeth Gap Bands?
Teeth gap bands are a device that closes the gaps in your teeth. The bands are made of a rubber band type material. They are branded to resolve diastema, which is the gap between the front two teeth.
Since they are sold as a fix for diastema, they are thought to be safe. That could not be further from the truth. Dentists will highly agree.
Why Are They Considered Dangerous?
Just because something is marketed does not mean that it is particularly safe. There are a number of things sold on the market that are not safe to use unless you know exactly how to use them. Some things should only be used by professionals. The teeth gap band is one of them. Fusion Dental Care, a Raleigh dentist, notes that even if the bands are offered as a solution to diastema, they still should not be used.
Here is a list of possible complications that can occur when using the teeth gap bands:
- The teeth gap bands can move up the tooth to the gums. This can result in loss of teeth, bleeding, infection, and much more. Teeth are not square. This is why the band can move upward on the tooth.
- Nerve damage to the tooth. This can happen when the circulation is unknowingly cut off.
- More damage. Besides all the other listed complications, you can also move the teeth in the wrong direction. This can cause them to become crooked, lose blood supply to the tooth, and much more.
- Severe jaw pain. By causing a misalignment with the teeth gap band, it can result in pressure on certain teeth in the mouth. This can cause an immense amount of unnecessary pain.
- Permanent tooth loss. By the bands slipping on the tooth, they can get underneath the gums. For the gap bands to work, they must be worn at night. However, at night they can slip under the gums. It can result in loss of permanent teeth.
- Irreparable damage. Some damage that can occur when using the teeth gap band cannot be repaired. While there is hope for some repairs due to the damage, sometimes there will not be any way to repair the damage that can happen when using the tooth gap band.
You can find more information on the dangers of teeth gap bands at the New York Times Well Blog.
Is There Another Option?
Some may think that there may not be another option for closing that gap. However, there certainly is another option. The first step that one should take when considering closing the gap in their teeth is to visit a dentist. There are a few reasons why visiting a dentist before treatment is important.
One of the most common and effective ways to close the gap in teeth is the use of braces. They are safe and you do not have to worry about losing your teeth permanently or causing any other irreversible damage.
Why Visit a Dentist?
By going to a dentist, they can detect any other underlying issues that may be present. It is important to resolve any other issues before starting a cosmetic procedure. When teeth are being moved around, you will want to be under the care of an orthodontist.
Here is a list of some reason why it is important to visit a dentist for closing the teeth gap:
- The gap is closed correctly.
- Teeth are kept straight during the process.
- Monitoring of any conditions during the process keeps teeth intact and healthy.
- Assurance that the gap will become closed and stayed closed.
- Avoidance of any potential risks that are involved when using a teeth gap band.
What Is an Orthodontist?
An orthodontist is a dental professional that has also completed a university program in orthodontics. They understand the way that teeth work and the importance of proper placement of braces. They have a complete understanding of the teeth, gums, and mouth. It is important to seek an orthodontist through your dentist when looking to close a tooth gap.
You can find more information on what an orthodontist does at Chron.
Before using the teeth gap band, do understand that they are certainly not safe to use. A lot of damage can occur. You can check out this YouTube video for more information if you are interested. Stay safe, and remember that it is not worth it to cause yourself unnecessary pain for a cosmetic change.