The Lake District is located in Cumbria County in northwest England. It is also known as the Lakes or Lakeland. The Lake District is a very popular vacation or holiday spot. It’s a mountainous region and one of the most beautiful areas in the world. Lakeland Tours, a tour guide in the Lake District, has explained everything you need to know about the Lake District and what to do there.
When to Visit the Lake District
It’s best to visit the Lake District in April or May. The weather is sunny during these months. Another option is to go in September or October. You can see the beautiful autumn colors then.
During the summer months, it gets busier. Specifically, June through August is the busiest time. When it’s busy, it’s harder to get around and the area is just more crowded. Prices also increase during this time. You can expect traffic too. This is a nice time to visit because of the weather. Just be aware that it can get very busy.
How Long to Stay in the Lake District
There is a lot to enjoy in the Lake District. How long you stay depends on what you want to do while you’re there. The more you want to do, the longer you should stay. For an introduction, two or three days will be enough. To really enjoy the Lake District, stay for a week.
To make this easier, try to select the things you definitely want to do in the Lake District. Then, you can save the others for a different trip.
How to Get to the Lake District
There are several forms of transportation you can use. According to Visit Britain, it’s only a one to two-hour drive from Manchester. You can use public transportation or your own vehicle. Trains are typically going to the Windermere area.
Where to Stay in the Lake District
Because there is so much to do in the Lake District, it’s hard to know where to stay. You want to be close to everything so you don’t miss out. While you can’t be near everything, there are plenty of great areas to stay in. Here are some of the top choices:
- Hawkshead is a village in the Lake District. It is quaint and charming. It features several small shops and cafes where you can get traditional items. This is also a great place to explore unique galleries.
- Bowness-on-Windermere. Bowness is located on the banks of Windermere. It is filled with traditional pubs and ice cream shops. You can go on a boat ride across the lake. It’s one of the best places to stay in the Lake District.
- Grasmere is another village. It’s a small village with a lot of history. You can stop by the shops and cafes to get a glimpse of the history. Many of the locations are family-owned. There are also scenic areas for you to enjoy.
If you’re looking for luxury hotels, it’s best to stay around Windermere.
What to Do in the Lake District
Keep in mind that there is a lot to do in the Lake District. You won’t be able to do it all, so try to narrow it down. Here are some of the best things to do in the Lake District:
- Sizergh Castle. This is a beautiful castle to visit in the Lake District. It also features gardens and a café.
- The World of Beatrix Potter. You can visit this museum and see Beatrix Potter’s characters be brought to life. It’s great for children of all ages and fans of Beatrix Potter.
- This is an excellent place to enjoy nature. You can walk around and sit by the water. It’s a beautiful sight.
- Lake Windermere. Lake Windermere is the largest lake in England. You can enjoy fishing, sailing, scuba diving, and more.
- Holker Hall and Gardens. You can explore the house and its well-maintained garden. There is also a café to dine at.
According to Culture Trip, the lakes are a great way to spend time outside too. There are many outdoor areas to explore and they all have something different to offer. Be sure to take advantage of the guided tours around these areas too.
Events in the Lake District
According to the Lake District website, there is plenty to do here. In the National Park, you will find all kinds of events and activities. These vary by day, so be sure to check the calendar on the website.
Many of these events and activities allow you to go outside and explore. They are a great opportunity to enjoy nature. There are a variety of guided walks available. These vary in difficulty levels and locations.
There are many great places to visit in the Lake District. It’s the perfect place to spend your holiday or vacation. There is something for everyone to enjoy. Consider what you want to do on your trip as you plan it. This will help you to choose the right time of year to go. If the weather is nice, you can spend time outside in the National Park.